Saturday, April 17, 2010

Racing time.

Well, just a short update here. Today was my team's home race. The Velo Trocadero race held at Menomonee Falls Park near Lannon...actually I think it is actually in Menomonee Falls. In either case, I ride by it on one of my various routes out to the Holy Hill area.

Regardless it was a 1.6 mi, which for Matthew is roughly 2.7 km, or something like that. It is mostly flat and it was rather windy today. Which made for an interesting race. It was a total of 75 minutes. Basically they determine how many laps based on how fast the first few laps go. I have no idea how many total laps we did. I don't know if they didn't show them or what the story was, however, I only saw 6 laps and then down from there.

There were a few attempts at a breakaway, however, nothing really stuck. There was one particular guy who kept relentlessly attacking and oddly enough missed the actual break that went. At about the 1/3 way point through the race we caught a previous group of riders and as most racers know that is the time to try another one...catch, then counter. So, a guy countered and I went with the wheel. There were three of us and we were away for about 3 or 4 laps. We didn't stick...which is the frustrating part because the break after that was a group of 8 that stayed away.

No matter, I had two teammates in the group, so I was happy. I did some work to shut down any other attempts to bring that particular break back, a tactic known as blocking. I guess we ended up getting 3rd and 4th. Not sure, I didn't see the finish and basically relaxed the last half of the last lap as there was nothing to sprint for. So, I relaxed and sat up.

All in all, it was a good day and my legs are pretty tired. I am thinking of going for a long ride tomorrow...but...Amanda has some kind of luncheon for Habitat for Humanity and I am not sure if she is looking for me to go along. I may get to go meet Larry and Shawn's new puppy too...Grace.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment