Monday, September 20, 2010

US Pro Road Championships = Awesome (Part 1)

I realize I probably have a lot of blogs to post, but, it's not going to happen while I sit here in the airport. I owe one with pictures of the new house...you'll get it eventually. Today is going to be a post about one of the best vacations I've had in some time.

I took a small and short trip to Greenville, SC. The reason is simple: to finally get to see my bro race in the US Pro Road Championships. This really is where it all started last year. He finished 5th, while riding in relative anonymity. He was clearly talented and riding for Kelly Benefits. After this race though, a man by the name of Johan, who manages this small team known as Team Radioshack, called and made an offer my bro couldn't refuse. A year later, he returns to where it started.

My mom flew down a day earlier than my dad and I. To be honest, I was tired the first day. I worked a regular shift on Friday, so the 5:55am flight on Saturday morning came fast and I only got a few hours sleep. I tried to sleep on the plane but had no luck. The plane was delayed from Milwaukee to Atlanta (insert Ludacris song "Welcome to Atlanta"). Thankfully the plane from Atlanta to Greenville was also delayed. We made it to the gate just as that plane was boarding. We got to Greenville as scheduled and were picked up by mother and taken to the US Pro Time Trial Championship.

This was the first time I've been to the National Championships the pros really care about. After all, with a win you get to wear the "Stars and Stripes" jersey in your discipline for the next season. Which is a pretty big deal. It was quite awesome to see 3 of the biggest names in cycling throwing it down on the time trial course. It was a very close finish between Levi Leipheimer and Taylor Phinney. Phinney won by a narrow .14 seconds, or maybe it was .15, I don't recall, you can find that information on Cyclingnews.

Here are a few pictures:

Picture 1: Taylor Phinney
Picture 2: Levi Leipheimer
Picture 3: Mr. Awesome - Matthew Busche

Matthew finished 5th, which is pretty sweet considering he's not a super great time trialist, yet. His time will definitely come, this is for certain.

After the TT, my parents, Lisa (Matthews wife, duh) and I went back to the hotel. We weren't there long and got word we should go chill with Matthew at the team hotel. We went over and hung out with him. There were several teams staying at the hotel, so we saw a few riders walking through. It was cool to feel closer and more involved in the tight-knit community that is pro cycling. Matthew left with the team to go to dinner, but not before we got to meet Allan Lim, arguably one of the greatest minds in cycling. Lisa, the parents and I then went out. I was tired, and dinner wasn't anything to write home about. After that, we stopped at the Marble Slab; it was similar to Coldstone, but, the ice cream was way smoother and way more delicious. We walked back to the hotel, I took out the pull out couch from hell and went to sleep for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment